Search This Blog

Monday 23 November 2020

LOVE REFLUX

 


You say that my love is toxic

A poison

tucked deep within my liver

Flowing like molten lava

Ready to erupt

with every tick of the clock

And at the very mention of your name

it gives in

to cause a you reflux

Pain burning all the sugar from the tongue

And leaving a vinegar sourness

from the singe of its open surgery

A burning sensation spreading fast in my chest

Setting me up for a blaze

Ready to inflame

Every bit of my soul

 

You say my love is tragic

A cancer spreading through my esophagus

of emotions

parts of my body shedding like autumn leaves

I can no longer swallow the thought of you

without vomiting blood

We’ve been here for too long

You and me

Exhausted from all the aches

Weary of all that’s to come

 

You say my love is fatal

Green and yellow venom

nauseating your very existence

My name is but an epigastric pain

A tribulation

injecting misery

into your blood vessels

But can’t you see?

I want an out too

Cough out the reality of you

into nothingness

Cut out the part of me

that still stomachs you

So here I am

Under palliative care

Portioning my love in bits of five

Taking it with every call of prayer

Hoping that this time

It will be enough

Not too much

Not too little

Just a memory of you

enough

to keep me

alive.